The past few weeks have been crazy busy, so I find myself reaching for my favorite basics on the daily. Here’s my top 9 wardrobe essentials for the minimalist:
- Chunky sweaters: Anything but basic, an oversized knit can give a pair of jeans that effortless, “I woke up like this” look. I love a good mockneck option—perfect for tucking away messy hair and creating a faux-bob.
- White sneakers: Forget the flats, sneakers are comfier and more versatile IMO. While I have a harder time pulling off high-tops, low-top kicks are my go-to.
- Boyfriend jeans: I should call them girlfriend jeans — as opposed to a true boyfriend jean — are slimmer throughout the leg. I find the straight-cut versions easier to wear on the daily. They add a cool-girl vibe to tailored blazers, feminine tops and preppy button-downs.
- Slouchy tees: No explanation needed. If you find a style that fits you well, I recommend one in every color. I like these from Everlane.
- Striped tees: No explanation needed. This classic piece will never go out of style
- Moto jackets: I have a soft spot for moto jackets with large lapels and shiny details. Which explains why I own this suede one in 3 colors — plus, it’s under $200!
- Crossbody bags: Structured and simple, a black leather bag can be carried day or night. Look for a contemporary shape like the A.P.C. Demi Lune Sac that’ll go with any casual or dressy ensemble.
- Mules: Great for any season — unless you’re walking in the snow — mules can replace your basic black boots (although, ankle boots would have been my #10 essential, but I couldn’t fit it on the graphic 😉 ). Whether you like a flat or heeled style, they’re comfy and the styling possibilities are endless.
- Midi dresses: Yes, petite girls can wear midis! Not usually a dress girl, mid-length dresses and skirts are my kryptonite. I like to wear mine with sneakers or mules for an easy way to feel put-together.